Mariana Cerovecki, 23 years old, Croatia.
Artist, activist, filmmaker, writer, photographer, vegan.
The Initiative Stop speciesism is a non-profit, non-govermental, collective of activists that fight for animal equality and rights,
and oppose to speciesism, violence
and exploitation of animals.
Mariana Cerovečki is the artist behind the
"Animal Rights Art" series of artwork (paintings, masks, designs, comics, poems, etc.).
She is also the director of the first official music video that speaks about the Canadian
seal hunt, the video "The Hand Strikes Hard" by Superbrands. The video was shown on the 10thAmateur Film Festival in Zagreb, as well as on MTV Adria and other music channels.
Mariana's paintings, masks and other creations were exhibited in Rijeka and Zagreb (Croatia), Germany and France, and one painting ("Forever Wild or a Slave?") was on auction
at the 2011 National Animal Rights Conference in Los Angeles, CA.
Her designs are used by animal rights groups for print on t-shirt and badges, and some of her comics were published in magazines and online in
Taiwan, Australia and Croatia.
Her comic "Speciesism?" was featured on the Croatian comic exhibition called "Stereostrip". The theme of "Stereostrip" was to show various stereotypes through comics.
Her articles about animal rights, speciesism, and activism are being published in Croatia and she is also the author of the brochures "Radical Activism or the Fight for Equality?" and "About Animal Rights", as well as the short story "The Look Behind The Cage" and "Animal Rights Art" – a collection of poems.
Mariana also writes a monthly zine about animal rights and veganism, available in Zagreb, Croatia.
She also films short documentaries on animal rights, speciesism, activism and shelters.
Mariana's activism for animal rights began at the age of 13 and from then on she continues to spread awareness in every way possible - through art, street activism, publications, etc.
EDUCATION AND COURSES
- Animal Behaviour and Welfare – University of Edinburgh (2014.)
- Animal Behaviour – University of Melbourne (2014.)
- Public Administration and Law – Zagreb (2014.)
- VIDEOAKTIV – Activist documentary workshop by Fade In, Zagreb, Croatia (2013.)
- Peace Studies, Center for Peace Studies, Zagreb, Croatia (2013.)
- Dog examination techniques - University of Nottingham
- Animal behaviour - MIT (Massachusets University of Technology)
- Zoological Medicine - Tufts University
- Wildlife Ecology – UC Berkeley
- Global Warming: The Science and Modeling of Climate Change - The University of Chicago
LECTURES & PUBLIC SPEAKING
- Cerovečki, M. - "Animal Rights, Human Rights and Ecofeminism" – VoxFeminae Festival, Zagreb, 2013.
- Cerovečki, M. - "Animal Rights, Abolition and Anti-speciesism" – Festival of Ethics, Zagreb, 2012.
- Cerovečki, M. - "Radical Activism or The Fight For Equality" – Animal Liberation Movie Night in Zagreb, 2012.
- Cerovečki, M. - "Animal Rights, Veganism and Anarchy" – Anarchist Book Fair in Zagreb, 2012.
- Exhibition in Germany - Vegan Street Day 2015.
- Exhibition in Germany - Vegan Street Day 2014.
- Exhibition in France – NO CAGE Art Fest 2013.
- Exhibition "Heart Over Appetite" - Cinema "Europa", Zagreb, Croatia, 2012.
- "ANIMAL RIGHTS ART" exhibition at the Festival of Ethics, Zagreb, Croatia, 2011.
- EXHIBITION IN VEGEHOP - ANIMAL RIGHTS ART: FRAGILE, Zagreb, Croatia, 2011.
- ANIMAL RIGHTS ART in Los Angeles - AR Conference 2011.
- ANIMAL RIGHTS ART in Zagreb – VEGEHOP, Zagreb, Croatia, 2011.
- ANIMAL RIGHTS ART in Rijeka, Croatia, 2011.
- ANIMAL RIGHTS ART: FIST ART FEST, Zagreb, Croatia, 2010.
- "About Animal Rights" 2014. - collection of articles about animal rights
- "Animal Rights Art" 2013. - collection of poems
- "Radical Activism or the Fight for Equality" 2012. - brochure
DOCUMENTARIES & SHORT MOVIES
- "Adopt - Save a Life" 2015. (in English)
- "Kuterevo - The Story of Bears and Humans" 2014. (in Croatian)
- "Speciesism - Discrimination based on species" 2013. (in Croatian)
INTERVIEWS (In Croatian)
Initiative STOP SPECIESISM
All of the "Animal Rights Art" artwork (including paintings, digital designs, comics, poems, masks, etc.) are created by Mariana Cerovečki.